Wednesday, June 13, 2007

10 points for AZ

After two sedentary weeks, I decided to hit the roads tonight for a run. It didn't take long to remember why I hate running in AZ. Even two hours after the sun's gone down, the air temperature is still in the triple digits. I could feel the warmth steaming out of the pavement. Within minutes, the heat had overwhelmed my body. Like an overheating car, my systems were beginning to shut down. A couple painful miles later I was back on my driveway red faced and sweaty.

While I was cursing the heat I tried to think positive things about Arizona. Here is what I came up with:

1. No towels necessary. I'm dry in less than a minute out of the shower.
2. It's zionized. If I ever miss hearing people call each other "brother" and "sister" in the grocery store, I only have to drive 30 minutes to Mesa, where 10 percent of the population is LDS. Mesa is also home to one of the church's most beautiful temples. I'm part of a great ward which is part of an entire stake of singles wards. There's always something churchy going on. A new Institute building is opening at ASU at the end of the summer.
3. The ASU Supply Chain MBA program is ranked 5th in the nation. My job will pay for me to get my MBA. Now I just need to ace the GMAT and get my work schedule regularized....
4. Sweet escapes. Five hour drive or $59 flight to San Diego, LA, or Vegas. Three hours to Mexico or the Grand Canyon. Two hours to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, where there's forests, red rock, and icy cold creeks and the temperature is 10 or 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix.
5. All the fine eats- Costa Vida, Cafe Rio, Chipotle, and Qdoba are just some of the good freshmex places in the valley. There's also In-N-Out, Church's Chicken, Pita Jungle (amazing humus), and tons of smoothie and shaved ice shops.
6. Mexiculture. Brown people are everywhere here. There's good spanish music on the radio. I get to speak Spanish most of the day at work.
7. Perfect swimming weather.
8. A decent place to live. Ok, really where I live is lame compared to the room I had in By a Thread's Taj Mahal, but it could be a lot worse. I've got a big bedroom, my own spot in the garage and my own bathroom in a brand new house. My roommate's a little strange (I think he has Asberger's syndrome) but he's hardly ever here and when he is here he's just in his room chatting with babes on LDSingles.com so it's a nice quiet place to come home to.
9. There's not a lot better than driving at night (like after 11 pm) with all the windows down, sunroof open, and Rihanna blaring on the radio, jamming gears on the smooth rubberized asphalt highway. It's a sweet feeling.
10. It's only temporary. I told the people at my job I'd be here for 18 to 24 months. Only 16 to 22 more months to go.

3 comments:

Abelard Enigma said...

It's only temporary. I told the people at my job I'd be here for 18 to 24 months.

That's what I thought when I moved to Texas (from California). That was 22 years ago (hmmm, maybe they thought I meant years instead of months).

But, Texas is where I've set down my roots. Since I work out of my home now, I am in a position where I could live virtually anywhere (that has high speed internet access). However, I honestly can't think of a place I would rather live.

Perhaps you will grow to love Arizona; at least don't rule it out.

Sean said...

hydrate! hydrate! hydrate! think of summer here like winter in MN. no one goes outside without the right stuff. water! and lots of it.

i'm glad your adjusting to our heat.

Original Mohomie said...

I still think an eventual visit to Phoenix is in order. I'm intrigued. Maybe when temps are back down to double digits... :-)